Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences and internet

+2
gerardM
MurielB
6 participants

Page 2 sur 3 Précédent  1, 2, 3  Suivant

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet - Page 2 Empty Re: Useful or dangerous technology, sciences and internet

Message  gerardM Ven 18 Jan - 17:02

Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:... This history will help you to guess  where we are going...
In my opinion, it's better to omit the "to" as it sounds oldish to me.
This history will help you guess  where we are going

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet - Page 2 Empty Re: Useful or dangerous technology, sciences and internet

Message  gerardM Dim 14 Avr - 15:35

Hi everyone,

Found this one on Facebook:
Michael Collins Adventures
Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet - Page 2 531870_363580453746130_2019645196_n
An elderly Irish man was stopped by the police around 2 a.m. and was asked where he was going at that time of night.

The man replied, "I'm on my way to a lecture about alcohol abuse and the effects it has on the human body, as well as smoking and staying out late."

The officer then asked, "Really? Who's giving that lecture at this time of night?"

The man replied, "That would be my wife."
:-)

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 7 Juin - 16:03

Hi everyone,

> I Love the Internet
I'm not the only one!

-> Les Français ne peuvent plus se passer d'Internet
Simplification de la vie quotidienne, accès à l'information, création d'emplois, relais de croissance… les Français plébiscitent le réseau mondial, dont Google est selon eux le meilleur représentant, selon une étude Ifop pour Les Echos.
What do you think?
Did the Creator of the Minitel adopt the Internet?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 7 Juin - 22:38

I hope he will, everyone has to move into the right direction ...

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Dim 9 Juin - 18:44

> Les Français ne peuvent plus se passer d'Internet
Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet - Page 2 5578_276632422482705_1396691609_n

gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 10 Juin - 15:32

Hi everyone,

ActuaLitté publishes a report on the subject
-> (ActuaLitté) Les rapports passionnés des Français à Internet (Par De Sepausy Victor, le samedi 08 juin 2013 à 00:01:16)
L'Ifop et Enjeux Les Echos viennent de publier les résultats de l'étude qu'ils ont mené sur un panel représentatif d'un millier de personnes concernant le « rapport des Français à Internet et aux entreprises 2.0 ». Et la première constatation que l'on peut faire, c'est que, sur la Toile, les usagers n'agissent pas toujours avec raison dans leur appréhension des grands acteurs du numérique, rapporte ZDNet.
Si les Français considèrent désormais Internet comme indispensable, ils sont aussi 76 % à voir la Toile comme incontrôlable et 42 % se disent inquiets face à ce qu'ils considèrent comme un nouveau pouvoir.
Les Français ont, pour plus de 50 % peur de sociétés telles que Facebook ou Twitter quand ils ne sont que 11 % à s'inquiéter des moteurs de recherche. Une attitude finalement assez moutonière et souvent assez éloignée de la réalité.
-> (ZDNet.fr) Etude : les Français se méfient de Facebook et Twitter, mais pas de Google (Par Clara Leonard | Vendredi 07 Juin 2013)
Chiffres : L’appréhension des grandes entreprises 2.0 par les français semble déconnectée de leur danger effectif, selon une étude. Tentative d'explication.

gerardM

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet - Page 2 Empty Useful or dangerous technology and internet

Message  gerardM Lun 4 Nov - 19:29

Hi everyone,

More than once have I been "saved" by my search engine.

Unimaginable a decade 2 décades ago!
3 examples to illustrate what I mean:
* I was speaking about a kidnapping that occurred when I was a kid: it concerned Eric Peugeot... easy to get all of the details even after 53 years
* I was also speaking about another kidnapping the victim of which being the CEO of Schneider Electric and to whom they cut a few finger phalanxes... yes, my search engine knew and gave me several links
* I also spoke about Bruno Bettelheim my interlocutor had never heard of... no problem to get a full page with all the life, all the works.

How could we have done a decade 2 decades ago? How much time and energy?

That's true, to perform this my search engine has to access, gather, index data written by lots of people who offer theit knowledge.
That's true, the Internet and search engines have advantages but also drawbacks.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Mar 4 Déc - 22:29, édité 3 fois (Raison : mistake)

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 5 Nov - 9:09

gerardM a écrit:Hi everyone,

More  index data written by lots of people who offer theit knowledge.
yes Gérard, Internet makes human being more intelligent.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 5 Nov - 10:05

MurielB a écrit:... yes Gérard, Internet makes human being more intelligent.
intelligent? LOL
I wouldn't say that!

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 5 Nov - 11:34

Gerard I just mean that people have the choice. you have the possibility to know nearly everything with your search engine. When people want to remain ignorant, it's up to them to decide. Sad

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 5 Nov - 11:46

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

As far as I know centuries ago (no I was not here), knowledgeable people had to listen to classes and learn lots by heart and remember; they did it rather easily.
Decades ago, there were museums, books, encyclopedias and we had to remember the main points and to know how and where to find information.

Do you think that due to Internet search engines, we won't need libraries any more?

Do you think that a very limited number of search engines is a danger as they can provide the truth as they see it?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 5 Nov - 14:02

gerardM a écrit:

Do you think that due to Internet search engines, we won't need libraries any more?

At first there there were stone-tablets then  papyrus then hand- written books, then printing then typewriter then internet. In the same time there was the quill-pen, the fountain pen, the bic etc.
Stone-tablets are best  because they last longer and your writing is best with a quill-pen. There has always been a quarrel between the ancients and the moderns. Anyway the world evolves. Those who want to stay with stone-tables why not ?Very Happy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 5 Nov - 14:25

Muriel,

> Do you think that due to Internet search engines, we won't need libraries any more?
You don't respond to the question, do you?

Do you think Web search engines and Web documents are playing against books?
Do you mean we won't need libraries and that it's not important?

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 5 Nov - 14:29

> , the bic etc.
I doubt English speaking countries know about "bic". People say biro®.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 5 Nov - 15:07

Thank you Gérard for teaching me a new word. I will remember "biro". As to evolution I have no idea where it will lead us to. I hope man and conviviality will remain at the centre of everything. Personally I like search engines and Web documents. It 's a lot quicker than books. Libraries are good because you can ask advice from somebody which is a good thing. Face to face communication is essential.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mar 5 Nov - 15:22

Biro ( Biros    plural  ) A Biro is a pen with a small metal ball at its tip which transfers the ink onto the paper.

biro® is a trademark, such as Bic®.

After Bíró László Jozsef, the inventor of the ballpen in 1038.
-> (En Wikipedia) Bíró László József
-> (Fr Wikipédia) Bíró László József
In 1945 Marcel Bich bought the patent from Bíró for the pen
If needed, this is another example of French people who divert an invention and who show the French are not always open, and honest, and respectful. Surprising the French are considered as arrogant?

Did many member know about Bíró László Jozsef, the true inventor of ballpen?

gerardM

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet - Page 2 Empty How the Internet is killing the world’s languages

Message  gerardM Sam 7 Déc - 21:31

Hi everyone,

-> How the Internet is killing the world’s languages
Less than five percent of current world languages are in use online, according to a recent study by prominent linguist András Kornai -- and the Internet may be helping the other 95 percent to their graves.

Those startling conclusions come from a paper published in the journal PLOSOne in October titled, appropriately, “Digital Language Death.” The study sought to answer a question that’s both inherently fascinating and little-discussed: How many languages exist online? (And, on the flip side, how many don’t?)

gerardM

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet - Page 2 Empty Why Video Games Make You Aggressive and in the same time are good for you?

Message  gerardM Dim 13 Avr - 18:39

Hi everyone,

Why Video Games Make You Aggressive ?

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 13 Avr - 20:21

Gérard, everyone
Here is a video
Anyway, what about the
good effects
http://www.mpg.de/7588840/video-games-brain

Video gaming causes increases in the brain regions responsible for spatial orientation, memory formation and strategic planning as well as fine motor skills.
Anyway I agree that it is important to choose the right games because some of them are very violent !

Dernière édition par MurielB le Lun 8 Fév - 20:04, édité 2 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet - Page 2 Empty Can burglars jam your wireless security system?

Message  gerardM Dim 15 Fév - 21:05

Hi there.

CNET

We tested out claims that popular wireless security kits come with new vulnerabilities.

Can burglars jam your wireless security system? - CNET
The odds are low of such an attack being attempted against you -- successfully or otherwise -- but let's look at the facts.
CNET.CO

gerardM

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet - Page 2 Empty Useful or dangerous technology and internet

Message  gerardM Ven 15 Mai - 18:28

Howdy.

CNET

Google's self-driving bubble cars will take to the public roads this summer.

Robo-car, go! Google's latest self-driving prototypes are heading to public roadways - CNET[
The company's bubble-shaped autonomous vehicles will soon take to the streets of Google's hometown to see how they fare in real traffic -- and how we respond.
CNET.CO

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 15 Mai - 18:48

Gérard, is that car expensive ? It could be very useful for handicapped people who can't drive ordinary cars.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet - Page 2 Empty Google's self-driving car pulled over for driving too slowly

Message  gerardM Ven 13 Nov - 21:56

Howdy.

CNET

Google wants its slow-moving bubble cars "to feel friendly and approachable, rather than zooming scarily through neighborhood streets."

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet - Page 2 Safe_image.php?d=AQBgArIohDM1rxYI&w=470&h=246&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcnet3.cbsistatic.com%2Fhub%2Fi%2Fr%2F2015%2F11%2F13%2Fc699fd3e-401a-49b5-98b8-810b63fc919d%2Fresize%2F970x546%2F0be0aba67bc1508fa5dd7e9a6543fa3c%2Fphoto

Google's self-driving car pulled over for driving too slowly - CNET
The vehicle was traveling well under the 35 mph speed limit -- legally, police in Google's hometown say.
CNET.CO

gerardM

Useful or dangerous technology, sciences  and internet - Page 2 Empty Getting your own personal action figure is as easy as stepping into a photo booth.

Message  MurielB Dim 14 Aoû - 22:20

A firm in Seoul, South Korea, is using 3D printing technology to turn photographs into miniature figurines. The replicas are hand-painted and can be completed in less than a day.
http://nypost.com/video/now-getting-your-own-personal-action-figure-is-as-easy-as-stepping-into-a-photo-booth/

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Ven 20 Jan - 22:27

http://www.cheatsheet.com/health-fitness/health-benefits-of-playing-video-games.html/?a=viewall

And yet, the gaming industry becomes bigger and better, year after year. Kids are growing up with video games on their computers, tablets, and smartphones, not just with consoles.
Gérard I agree that video games make people agressive. My 9 year old grand son,  like every little boy of his age, loves playing video games and that makes him very nervous when he does it for a long time.
When he is with us, he is only allowed 1 hour a day and that makes him happy
In this article they say that video games boost our memoru, increase our coordination, is good for our cognitive health, reduce our stress and depression and can sharpen our decision-making which is very good.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Page 2 sur 3 Précédent  1, 2, 3  Suivant