Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

promotion of indigeneous languages

2 participants

promotion of indigeneous languages  Empty promotion of indigeneous languages

Message  MurielB Jeu 2 Avr - 14:10

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/sep/26/three-european-languages-that-you-didnt-know-existed?CMP=share_btn_fb

Globalisation and cultural homogenisation mean that many of the world’s languages are in danger of vanishing. UNESCO has identified 150 European languages which it considers are either vulnerable or endangered. We talk to speakers of these lesser-known languages – from Faroese to Pite Saami.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Jeu 1 Déc - 17:16, édité 3 fois

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

promotion of indigeneous languages  Empty Re: promotion of indigeneous languages

Message  gerardM Jeu 2 Avr - 15:34

MurielB a écrit:
... We talk to speakers of these lesser-known languages – from Faroese to Pite Saami.
Thanks Muriel, in the meantime, oodles of others begin their way to extinction.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

promotion of indigeneous languages  Empty Re: promotion of indigeneous languages

Message  MurielB Mar 25 Sep - 22:42

Hi everyone
I have just come across another very interesting article on the subject
https://www.cigionline.org/articles/technology-alone-cant-preserve-endangered-languages

promotion of indigeneous languages  34230785606_969c0328d9_o
The annual session of the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues. (Photo by UN Women)
According to the UNESCO Atlas of the World’s Languages in Danger, at least 43 percent of the estimated 6,000 languages spoken in the world are endangered. This figure is likely to be low, since there are many languages that lack sufficient data to allow for an assessment of their vulnerability.
Increasingly, artificial intelligence (AI) is being used for language learning around the world; major technology companies are making substantial investments in natural language and voice interface platforms. But, even as advancements are made in this area, Google’s former Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt acknowledged that languages that are not prevalent are disadvantaged by AI. These languages are not simply threatened by the  declining population of native speakers but also the technological systems that give preference to the most commonly spoken languages in the world.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Mar 25 Sep - 22:45

Of course language is one manifestation of cultural diversity and each language reflects a unique worldview. We have already exchanged on the subject in French =>A language is a different view point on things It is very sad to accept that at least half of the 6000 languages spoken in the world will be extinct by the year 2100. Fortunately there is a a huge project trying to capture the tone and rhythm of some of them. We do hope it will help maintaining them alive

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

promotion of indigeneous languages  Empty promotion of indigeneous langages

Message  MurielB Sam 28 Déc - 22:45

http://www.languagegeek.com/
The indigenous peoples of the world speak an immensely diverse group of languages, belonging to over thirty distinctly different families just in North America. It is vital for all of us to promote and respect these languages so that we can transmit our legacy to future generations.
Chris Harvey is the man behind languagegeek.com, a site that provides keyboards and fonts in more than 100 Indigenous languages. He's made it his passion to provide Indigenous people with access to minority languages, calling it a human rights issue.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Dim 29 Déc - 11:01

Hello Everyone
This project is great! the languages spoken by ethnic minorities in each country must be respected and honoured without discrimination. when the last people speaking those languages have disappeared they will still remain thanks to technology. They will constitute an inestimable heritage

MurielB
MurielB
Admin