Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Social Networks

2 participants

Social Networks Empty Social Networks

Message  gerardM Dim 9 Jan - 22:06

Hi everyone,

I would like to share something with you, members and ask for a bit of help...

Why does other people's soup always taste better than your own? Thanks so much Sam, it was yummy scrummy for my tummy Smile

These words come from Facebook.
I didn't trust Facebook and other social networks for months as people speak about spying, possible dangers for your privacy, and especially, dangers for kids who like to behave madly and post mostly to have fun with friends and show off in any sujet.

I changed my mind and am now keen on FCB and others. Of course you have to take a look at the settings to get what you need.

I won't say much about all of the advantages but a few words regarding language learning.
Depending on your level and needs... I like to know everything about street language, daily expressions and words, everything which is true life.
I'm lucky to have members of my family speaking English as their mother tongue as my niece is a New-Zealander (they all live in Dubai).
In addition to giving me the opportunity to get instant and constant news of Alison and the 3 children, I can learn many things regarding the language. Smile
Something very good is that I can read casual English b/w them and their friends.

- as you can see hereabove, Alison writes a correct language though on Facebook and it's the same for her friends; not exactly as good from the kids but this is also something precious
- with this casual language, I can understand the "culture" and behaviors of adults, ladies, kids, etc.
- the topics are rarely high literature but anyway, any topic is good
- "Sam": no need to go on FCB to know this but they always use pet names
- "it was yummy scrummy for my tummy"
I can learn new expressions! LOL scratch
We see here English-speaking people using funny expressions they love with oodles of repeated sounds along with beloved ending in -y or -ie.

Could anyone help me understand this expression?
- I understand yummy and tummy
- big mystery for "scrummy"! I know what "scrum" means but I don't see anything to do in the sentence
I know "scrumptious" which is exactly in the scope, meaning yummy, delicious, delightful, exquisite, lovely... and finally scrummy could be a funny word for scrumptious!
- I thought Ali might have made a typo but no, the expression provides many entries on the Internet (Google)
- several Web pages showing it's a usual expression:
--- http://culty.aimoo.com/Culty-talk/Yummy-scrummy-for-my-tummy-Recipes-1-22404.html
--- http://lipstick-lollipops.blogspot.com/2010/07/yummy-scrummy-for-my-tummy.html
--- http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/cook-book/baby-and-toddler-meal-planner-annabel-karmel/359752/
- I also find out funnier and longer expressions:
--- "Yummy Scrummy Happy Tummy"
--- "my mummys scrummy yummy tummy fillers" LOL an account name on Facebook, again related to food and recipes

Ah something interesting!
"Yummy Scrummy - What's in my tummy? Guess what the hungry monsters have eaten..." I wonder if it's not refering to a traditional game for kids as "Yummy Scrummy" is a game for sure(here it is).

So what now?
Could anyone help me, please?
I can ask Alison or other English speaking people but I enjoy discovering all of these amazing things on the Internet and live exciting events and adventures and gain much experience! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Wink
gerardM
gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Social Networks Empty Re: Social Networks

Message  gerardM Lun 10 Jan - 0:11

Hi,

Here's a link I forgot to give: if you're interested in casual language, maybe the Urban Dictionary can be handy (along with WordReference).

Dernière édition par gerardM le Lun 10 Jan - 14:09, édité 2 fois
gerardM
gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 10 Jan - 10:59

Hi everyone,

No, I don't own any share of Facebook (unfortunately Wink ).
If I post again on the subject, it's well because I'm convinced it is a good way to learn, even another way with its own advantages.
Again, a specificity is that we can be "among" a foreign community, in the very middle as if we were in the same room, people talking with everyday's language and topics (hence casual language, "culture" and common behaviors).
Another advantage is that this casual language is written and we -foreigners- have much time to analyze and ask and learn (if we were physically in the room, we could hear but we'd forget many things or not understand...).

Do try it!

Another example to show we can learn oodles of things provided we keep eyes open...
Alison recently had an accident and broke her ankle. Had I to write words, it would have been something like I wish you a short/fast/quick recovery, no ?
Mistake!! The term which is used is "speedy recovery" (that I could read from her friends)... I read this several times so I came to the idea it was the true word; I asked for confirmation: yes, despite the existing adjectives quick, fast... the appropriate word is "speedy" (in the case of recovery). So, I responded with this expression and I'm sure I will always remember this (as I used it myself).

Of course, we don't learn anything if our mind is not focused, not ready to catch weird things met all day long... my eyes are wide open and I can notice precious details.

~~

If I managed to convince you Facebook was another good way to learn, here are a few pieces of advice:
- Facebook, like all of the programs, has to be used by lots of people with different tastes, needs and behaviors. There are settings to provide your preferences: go there and especially to the security settings in order to say what you want regarding confidentiality.
- build your network, that means accept trusty people only and don't try to beat the record getting tons of friends.
If you want to "live with" English-speaking people:
--- choose a friend you know
--- if you don't know a single one, try to contact -little by little- a friend's English/Am. friend
--- if you don't find, choose an international star and get them to accept you as their* "friend" and this way, you will be able to read and comment... there we go!
As for me, I love jazz and I'm in the group that supports Nikki Yanofsky (a 16-year-old Canadian jazz singer - a marvel!).
It will be rather easy as I don't think she really posts herself but she surely has a team to advertise and promote albums and prepare concerts... Wink

Dernière édition par gerardM le Lun 10 Jan - 14:11, édité 2 fois (Raison : Wording)
gerardM
gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 10 Jan - 11:02

Hi,

In my previous post, I wrote "choose an international star to accept you as their 'friend'".

I confirm and sign this curiosity: "star" is a singular but I used "their" and not his (or her). Weird?

... I'm going to explain in a while (I have to go buy some bread) Wink ...
gerardM
gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 10 Jan - 13:48

It must be very interesting to learn colloquial english thanks to face book. The problem with computors is that you are in front of your computor hours on end and you never stop. I think I will concentrate on that forum and be an active membre of the new "salon de discussion" dedicated to language-learning ;-)
By the way, what are you going to expain after you have bought your bread ?
I enjoyed learning about "yummy scrummy for my tummy" thank you ! and also "take up" thanks a lot !
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Lun 10 Jan - 14:06

Hi Muriel,

Thanks for popping in! Wink
MurielB a écrit:... By the way, what are you going to expain after you have bought your bread ?
Here I come, after my coffee Wink

But do tell me if the sentence looks weird ou not.

I enjoyed learning about "yummy scrummy for my tummy" thank you ! and also "take up" thanks a lot !
You're welcome! I'm pleased you liked this!
gerardM
gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 10 Jan - 14:57

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,
gerardM a écrit:Hi,

In my previous post, I wrote "choose an international star to accept you as their 'friend'".

I confirm and sign this curiosity: "star" is a singular but I used "their" and not his (or her). Weird?

... I'm going to explain in a while (I have to go buy some bread) Wink ...
I edited my post and replaced the sentence by
--- if you don't find, choose an international star and get them to accept you as their* "friend" and this way, you will be able to read and comment... there we go!
There is something strange in this sentence because "star" is a singular and "them" and "their" are plural.
English grammar states a correct sentence should be "choose an international star and get him to accept you as his 'friend'".
What do you think?
The problem is that the above sentence is correct only if the star is a man: "her" and "her" must be written if the star is a lady.

I know of other languages that give the precedence to the masculine without long discussion. Smile

What I intend to say with this example is that American language (I don't know about British English) is very respectful of equality between men and women: no gender mark!!
"Them" (object complement) & "their" (possessive adjective) have to be used as the non masculine nor feminine words. Hence the "choose an international star and get them to accept you as their 'friend'" which is the American response to equality b/w men & women, and not an incorrect sentence. Smile

~~

-> Another example of respect shown by the American language.
People don't have to know about religion and they won't say "Merry Christmas" when they don't know about the addressee of the card... they will write a neutral "Season's greetings".
No problem of religion in the New Year wishes.

-> Another example of respect shown by the American language.
People don't have to know about the family status of a woman and they should prefer Ms and avoid the Mrs / Miss Wink

~~

How is it in British English?

Dernière édition par gerardM le Lun 10 Jan - 22:07, édité 1 fois
gerardM
gerardM

Message  gerardM Lun 10 Jan - 15:47

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,
MurielB a écrit:It must be very interesting to learn colloquial english thanks to face book.
It's not only interesting but necessary for advanced students Wink

I would like to add that you use the word "colloquial" while I used "casual".
As far as I know, it's not the same.
Colloquial is further from Queen's English than Casual.
Casual is not impolite while colloquial begins to.
American people are very relaxed (when they are not at work where they are very professional) and casual language is their common language.
In international companies in France, we tend to adopt the rules of casual wear on Fridays and sometimes casual day on Fridays too. Wink

The problem with computors is that you are in front of your computor hours on end and you never stop. I think I will concentrate on that forum and be an active membre of the new "salon de discussion" dedicated to language-learning ;-) ...
I hope so! I count on you to be an active member of that new lounge.
Now tell me Muriel... you write "membre" (doesn't exist lol)!!
Do you do this to counterbalance my tendency to American spelling (center, theater, etc.)? Wink
gerardM
gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 10 Jan - 21:23

It was just a mistake. I don't know why I have written "membre" I was not rigorous while I was type-writing. sorry about that. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Lun 10 Jan - 22:09

That's what I guessed. It was just to tease you! Smile
gerardM
gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 11 Jan - 15:26

Hi everyone,

Another obvious example of a behavior irrespective of gender, race, age:
In the United States, when they speak in general, they no longer say salesman but salesperson.
I cannot remember another similar word but I know it's spreading.
However, I never heard about policeperson or fireperson.
gerardM
gerardM