Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Liz Clegg: a wonderful Lady in the Calais Jungle

3 participants

Liz Clegg:  a wonderful Lady in the Calais Jungle  Empty Liz Clegg: a wonderful Lady in the Calais Jungle

Message  JeanPierreD Dim 6 Mar - 21:54

Liz Clegg is an English lady who arrived in the Calais Jungle since last August. She noticed that there was few things done for the women and the teenagers (except in the Jules Ferry camp) . She built and runs currently the Children and Women’s centre and has become a surrogate mother of hundreds of unaccompanied refugees, especially teenagers, mostly 12, 13, 14 year old Afghan boys who were sent to Europe for their own safety after their fathers were killed.
During a big party in February in the Good Chance Theater with the visit of the actor Jude Law and many other celebrities in Calais, she red this very moving letter :

Jamil –
I’ve packed another bag for you tonight. I’ve managed to find a really good sleeping bag this time it’s cold. I remembered the bin bags. Please use them – it will help keep you a bit dryer. There’s two pairs of socks and a torch in the side pocket and I’ve put in some snacks and five euros. Please try not to  lose your phone again.
Jamil, I’m scared. I’m scared I’m going to lose you. The forms they’ve given me don’t have a box for you, and no one’s prepared to change this. You have to be clever in this game Jamil, you have to talk the talk, understand complex law. They don’t want to hear about our lives, our daily routine to keep  dry and fed and out of trouble. They are not interested in the nightly ritual of watching you leave  ‘to try’ to get to the UK, let alone acknowledge the panic I feel because I may never know what came of you. Or worse still you join the growing list of those who died trying.
Jamil, I beg you,  listen to me , don’t get into a refrigerated lorry, wait for something safer. Massoud was older, he still died. I can’t promise to solve this, but I am trying.
Jamil – I love you dearly, never finished, and I will fight to the bitter end to keep you safe.

Liz Clegg:  a wonderful Lady in the Calais Jungle  Liz-reading-her-letter-to-Jamil-2-2

video
JeanPierreD
JeanPierreD

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Liz Clegg:  a wonderful Lady in the Calais Jungle  Empty Re: Liz Clegg: a wonderful Lady in the Calais Jungle

Message  Guilaine Lun 7 Mar - 17:13

Very moving indeed. Every individual story is the same, and we cannot but be touched with every particular case. But what can we do with the thousands of them ?
Guilaine
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

Liz Clegg:  a wonderful Lady in the Calais Jungle  Empty Re: Liz Clegg: a wonderful Lady in the Calais Jungle

Message  MurielB Lun 7 Mar - 21:16

Thanks Jean-Pierre for that very moving testimony. People can't do anything when they are caught in political turbulences. How can we solve the jungle problems and at the same time Calais unemployment ?The politicians set the rules and we have to follow but It must also be borne in mind that when we show humanity by welcoming people who are struggling, this is a sign of civilisation.Liz Clegg is a great lady !

Dernière édition par MurielB le Mar 8 Mar - 10:29, édité 1 fois

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  MurielB Mar 8 Mar - 10:12

Helping Calais jungle people is very frustrating because they are not refugees, they are migrants. They don't want to stay. They want to go to England. We can only act like the good Samaritan and  give them just a punctual assistance. We know that it is against the law to go to England and it is dangerous for them so when they become our friends we worry about them. Let's hope that when they leave, they will meet other nice people and that what we have given them will be our contribution of the chain of friendship around them. I love you

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois