Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Help me to create an interesting polyglot event!

2 participants

Help me to create an interesting polyglot event! Empty Help me to create an interesting polyglot event!

Message  victoriaD Ven 15 Oct - 11:14

Hello,
My name is Victoria if you don't know me.
I've set up the group Cafe Polyglot in Falmouth. But originally I'm from Boulogne sur mer.
I need advice as I'm a bit overwhelmed by the success of the group in Falmouth.
September has brought a new cart load of student in town. which i'm delighted about as there are quite a few oversees student bringing with them their culture and they are eager to share with us.
Several members have asked to organise a food event with different specialities but the manager of the bar where we gather isn't keen to accept the food in. Although he should be glad we choose his bar to meet up as on Thursday eve its pretty dead if we were not there.
What kind of argument i could use to make him change his mind. I don't want to have to say that we are moving as it will be hard to find another good spot.

Also i have another issue,
we are not as organised as the group in boulogne where there is one language per table. Here they like to shout across in whatever language. It does give a lovely atmosphere but i know some people don't come back because they find it too difficult to hear as its so chaotic some eve.
The polyglots seem to be reluctant to separate into tables and then travel from table to table to practise different languages.
Shall i let them get on with it or give me tips!!!

I have organise one quizz night, they loved it! The question were in english but it was about languages and their origins.
They wish to have regular quizzes night now.
I need inspiration, please if you have interesting questions, could you write them here on the forum.

Sorry to be so demanding Embarassed
cheers,
vic
victoriaD
victoriaD

Lieu : Falmouth (UK)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, It

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Help me to create an interesting polyglot event! Empty Re: Help me to create an interesting polyglot event!

Message  MurielB Ven 15 Oct - 21:53

Hello Victoria
I am very pleased Very Happy : your polyglot is now a success. About your food problems you can suggest to only share cold food like dessert. It is less complicated for the manager of the bar and people can enjoy specialities from different countries or regions.
For the noise, it is important to be strict and place the different tables not too close. In Calais we have hearing impaired people because they are older. As we want to make relations between generations possible we have to create an atmosphere suitable for people who are growing older. Anyway it is not a problem when people go from table to table.
In the forum, where English speaking people can meet and talk there in an interesting quiz from David (Strasbourg) on February 21 st. you can see for yourself; Thank you again for your messages cheers
Hope to hear from you soon
Muriel .
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Help me to create an interesting polyglot event! Empty Re: Help me to create an interesting polyglot event!

Message  victoriaD Lun 18 Oct - 12:21

Thanks Muriel i'm going right away to look at the quizz!
cheers,
vic
victoriaD
victoriaD

Lieu : Falmouth (UK)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, It