Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

School and Education

+8
Laziz
Guilaine
moblo29
Remy
Paula
JeanPierreD
gerardM
MurielB
12 participants

Page 2 sur 4 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4  Suivant

School and Education  - Page 2 Empty Re: School and Education

Message  Remy Lun 2 Mar - 21:29

Hi everyone !

to my mind, it's better to mix boys and girls, so they can get to know each other and learn playing doctor.

Remy

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Message  MurielB Lun 2 Mar - 21:30

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Lun 2 Mar - 22:28

Remy a écrit:... and learn playing doctor.
Yes probably led to true vocations Wink
If they separate children, there will be less doctors.

less doctors or more... I'm here referring to doctors who were charged with vaginal touch on ladies under general anaesthetic, and explanations from the Council of the College of Physicians claiming it was normal practice affraid and permitted !!!

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

School and Education  - Page 2 Empty boys&girls

Message  moblo29 Mar 24 Mar - 13:45

I have been in a famous French school for 3 years, and in my class, there was only one girl !
Moreover, it was a boarding school, so at night and during lunch break we were only boys.
It only reminds me great memories, since being only with boys was something incredible : same tastes, same jokes and all that stuff.
However, young boys are attracted by young girls that's natural so sometimes it was a bit boring just being surrounded by boys ^^
boys and girls, we are made to be together Very Happy

moblo29

Lieu : ??
Langues : français, anglais, espagnol, italien, arabe

Message  Guilaine Mar 24 Mar - 22:34

I do think it is much better to have boys and girls together in the same class.
They learn to live together and get prepared for a future life in which they will have so many things to share, or... to make do with !
Some people get to know each other so closely that they get married after their studies, having met at school !
The story does not say if the marriage is a success !
Guilaine
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

Message  Laziz Mar 24 Mar - 22:44

Paula a écrit: don’t agree with separating girls and boys... We are different but I believe that, we must learn to live together from we are children. To separate, why? I think that it could reinforce sexual stereotypes...
I would like to know other opinions   cat                              
[/font]

In India, from very old time up to not long ago, boys were send to gurukula. From around 5 years
old they will be send to a guru ashram and they will stay there up they are old enough to get home and get married.
Up to that time, they are called brahmacari; it means celibacy. After that, they get married or they continue
the celibacy life.

In my young age, in Algeria or in France, kids were separated in school. Even during the breaks, the children were
separated by a barrier; they did not play together. It was only in high school that girls and boys could be in the same
class or sit one next to the other. I think it was much better for studying, especially for boys ...

But now, they are no more boys and girls... I mean to say that you may be a boy in a body of a girl or a girl in the body
of a boy and you will learn your gender when you are 18 years old or more. That is the new trend.
That is my opinion.

Laziz

Lieu : Algérie
Langues : français, anglais, algérien

http://maroudiji.over-blog.fr/

Message  MurielB Mer 25 Mar - 9:03

Hi Paula, Gérard, Guilaine, Laziz, Moblo29,Remy !
Thanks  for telling us your view point. I personally think that school must be mixed, secular and for all: boys and girls, regardless of their origin, their religion, their handicap. If we divide the children at school the result  will be a divided and stereotyped society. People Can't live together if they are not prepared at a young age to do so. Our children were brought up in a mixed school. They  are more open minded than we are and have no problem with gender identity. We (My husband and I) were educated in a separated school up to the age of 18.  We  now  try our best to make up for lost time.
On a side note, I met my husband at school when I was 18 in  the sixth form, when for the first time there were boys in my class. A couple of years later we got married. Very Happy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

School and Education  - Page 2 Empty More School Means More Income

Message  gerardM Jeu 4 Juin - 17:11

Howdy.

Bill Gates

Although I dropped out and got lucky, getting a degree is a much surer path to success

gerardM

School and Education  - Page 2 Empty Why After A Decade Of Education Are Our Kids So Uneducated?

Message  gerardM Dim 9 Aoû - 23:54

Howsdy.

Staying Alive is Not Enough.

Why After A Decade Of Education Are Our Kids So Uneducated? | TruthTheory
by Phillip J. Watt It’s clear that we need to redesign our education model. An example that we can all relate to is simply asking ourselves what information do...
TRUTHTHEORY.COM|DE TRUTH THEORY

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 10 Aoû - 15:06

It is up to the parents, mentors, peers and other societal influences to fill these gaps, but we all know this doesn’t regularly occur. If the guides and teachers in a child’s life don’t have the knowledge and skills to properly inform and take care of themselves, then how can they be expected to share it with others? They literally can’t, which is why we need an effective safety net to provide all the information that our children need to develop into awakened, functional and wholesome adults.
Gérard we can't take everything for granted and trust the system. we must make sure our children are in the right school with fairy good teachers. Anyway when the institutions are not good they can attend a private school but the parents always play an important part and intelligent children Will always pull through !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 10 Aoû - 17:06

Muriel,

In my opinion, things change constantly.
Society is like "everything" in this world, like the crust of the Earth which moves and sometimes crack (I'm thinking of plate tectonics).
Religion, morality, drug acceptation, violence, sex, etc. the society has to evolve and like on a sailing boat, like on skis, we constantly have to adjust life elements to keep our balance and equilibrium.

>  intelligent children Will always pull through
Not always I'm afraid.
There are many examples of people who didn't follow the rules of society, the pattern and who stay outside: autistic persons, active low-level workers such as hippies, hobos... refusing the mold.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Lun 10 Aoû - 17:23

Thanks Gérard for the word hoboe o didn't know

Define hobo: a person who has no place to live and no money and who travels to many different places—
A friend of mine's son has chosen not to be in the mould and live un a country community with little money.
He is happy !

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Lun 10 Aoû - 22:45

MurielB a écrit:Thanks Gérard for the word hoboe o didn't know

Define hobo: a person who has no place to live and no money and who travels to many different places—
A friend of mine's son has chosen not to be in the mould and live un a country community with little money.
He is happy !
You're welcome Muriel,

Hobo was the nichname of an Australian member on a forum I participated in in the 1990s.
I thought the word "hobo" was Australian, no it is not.
In British En it refers to vagrants.
In the US, if it was used for people going here and there throughout the United States (just with their saddles and guns) to take any job in ranches, it's now said for temporary workers who take seasonal works. So different from Brit.En.

gerardM

School and Education  - Page 2 Empty That Nifty Little Map of Taste Buds on the Tongue You Learned in School is all Wrong

Message  gerardM Dim 1 Nov - 17:43

Howdy.

Staying Alive is Not Enough

That Nifty Little Map of Taste Buds on the Tongue You Learned in School is all Wrong
Everybody has seen the tongue map – that little diagram of the tongue with different sections neatly cordoned off for different taste receptors. Sweet in the…
WAKINGTIMES.COM

gerardM

School and Education  - Page 2 Empty *** Advanced Learners - 3 Most Powerful Fluency Secrets You Wont Learn In School ***

Message  gerardM Sam 12 Mar - 19:46

Howdy.

Below is the link to a text I found extremely important to help us understand why we -learners- can't understand native speakers.

I decided to separate this topic as it's very important to figure out why we have trouble understanding even when our level is fluent... we usually think of speed, of slang, etc. and don't realize.
Read.

Forum | Learn English | 3 Most Powerful Fluency Secrets You Won’t Learn in School | Fluent Land

Do you feel frustrated when you listen to native speakers, as if we use English in a completely different way than what you learned in your English class?  Is there something missing in the flow of your communication, like a block in your mind that prevents you from feeling natural when you speak En…

FLUENTLAND.COM

~~~
... dynamic aspects of fluency... absolutely crucial for the proficient use of the English language...

Here are the 3 Most Powerful English Fluency Secrets they don’t teach you in school:

Sound Morphing/ Connected Speech: How natives cut, mix, and leave out words and sounds when we speak.
Discourse Markers: An extremely dynamic group of common words and phrases that serve to fill, connect, link, pivot, as well as give space and rhythm to communication. (The word “like” is a discourse marker)
Pronunciation/ Intonation/ Rhythm & Flow: Elements of native pronunciation and intonation that (a) facilitate your listening comprehension, and (b) permit you to flow with the natural rhythm of fluent English communication.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Sam 12 Mar - 20:01

A personal remark is that there are several meanings, several musics depending on what the speaker wants to say.
... poorly said sorry...
I mean that when the music is different, often the meaning is different.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 2 Aoû - 22:04

Hi Paula, Guilaine,Laziz, Moblo29, Gérard, Rémy.
This is another article which says that boys and girls should be taught differently. What do you think ? should we start again separating boys and girls?
It now appears that the language areas of the brain in many five-year-old boys look like the language areas of the brain of the average three-and-a-half-year-old girl….
Trying to teach a five-year-old boy to learn to read and write may be just as inappropriate as it would be to try to teach three-year-old girls to read and write…
Asking five-year-old boys to learn to read – when they’d rather be running around or playing games – may be the worst possible introduction to school, at least for some boys.

=>https://www.nationalparentsorganization.org/blog/23057-boys-not-the-problem-schools-treating-boys-like-girls-is-the-problem

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Jeu 4 Aoû - 22:16

Hello everyone
After careful overall reflection I think that separating boys and girls at school could reinforce sexual stereotypes.  In every branch. our society needs both genders

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  Guilaine Ven 5 Aoû - 23:28

After reading the link attached to the preceding post, I don't know really if gender discrimination at pre-elementary school is a good thing. But I observe in my own family that there is a difference between boys and girls achievements at that age, as far as language, reading and writing are concerned.
Should the girls be more encouraged to excell still better from that age ?
Are they stopped in their performances due to the presence of less advanced boys in the same class ?
The question is raised and resolved in New York. Have they found negative arguments out of that experience ?
Guilaine
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

Message  MurielB Dim 7 Aoû - 11:18

Thanks Guilaine for your very interesting comments and your observation in your own family.

Have they found negative arguments out of that experience ?
Yes we could ask NY public schools for their conclusions.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

School and Education  - Page 2 Empty What matters in schools is teachers. Fortunately, teaching can be taught

Message  MurielB Ven 23 Déc - 21:56

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21700383-what-matters-schools-teachers-fortunately-teaching-can-be-taught-how-make-good

School and Education  - Page 2 20160611_LDD001_0

FORGET smart uniforms and small classes. The secret to stellar grades and thriving students is teachers. One American study found that in a single year’s teaching the top 10% of teachers impart three times as much learning to their pupils as the worst 10% do. Another suggests that, if black pupils were taught by the best quarter of teachers, the gap between their achievement and that of white pupils would disappear.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Ven 27 Jan - 22:54

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_news_website

Fake news websites seek to mislead, rather than entertain, readers for financial, political, or other gain

Fake news has always been round. We hear lies everywher, not only at school. Nowadays fake news has exploded. It’s all over now;  It  is very difficult to trust what the press tells us and to feel well informed.,Personally I think that the sensational press causing or intended to cause intense feelings, especially of curiosity, horror etc. is no good for those who want to think for themselves.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Dim 29 Jan - 14:12, édité 3 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Sam 28 Jan - 21:47

Hi everyone !
All that rings a bell for me. A couple of years ago, I read a book called "Le culte de l'émotion" from Michel Delcroix. That philosopher had noticed that The media choose to produce strong sensations and not peaceful feelings because they need to attract a high number of listeners or readers. The sensational press doesn't care if what they say is true or not. For political or Financial reasons  they want to reach a wide audience. It is very sad because people are often deceived and can't reflect quietlty.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Dim 29 Jan - 13:59

Hi Gérard
As i am trying to find post about fake news I came across yours about "10 lies taught at school"but I couldn't open your link
Here it is
http://www.collective-evolution.com/2017/01/28/10-lies-you-were-taught-in-school/

School and Education  - Page 2 Evolut10

Questioning things and having healthy intelligent conversation around them is a crucial part of evolving our knowledge and advancing forward as a species. But when we allow belief systems or emotions to get in the way, we don’t always see things clearly. So it’s important to remember to question what we know from a place of open mindedness and peace so as to not let those factors get in the way.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

School and Education  - Page 2 Empty Lies you were taught in school

Message  YvesB Dim 29 Jan - 18:05

Hello everybody,

I had to go to youtube to get the video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyucnM1z62U

Clearly, this type of document is useless. The title itself is simply lurid, and I've never found a single "the top 2/5/10... blah blah" video worth watching.
At best, we may have been taught things that proved wrong afterwards, but they never were deliberate lies. If I had been a student during the dark ages, I'd have been taught that the earth is flat, indeed, and at the time, it would have been the truth, because it was "common knowledge".
Teachers always try to convey what they think is right, but how can you expect them to be up to date in every field they teach ?
So even if what they actually teach is wrong, it is seldom a deliberate lie. (Exceptions ? French school teachers in Algeria ? "Our ancestors had blond hair and blue eyes" ? But what choice did they have ?)

Back to the video.
Well, the guy who made it is either an ignoramus or a blatant liar himself. There are various errors (or plain lies) in the so-called truths he tries to impart, the most brazen being about who discovered America. Leif Erikson says he ? Desparetely wrong. America got populated by Asians who crossed the Bering Straits, 20000, maybe 50000 years ago. How about that for a "discovery" ?

So, to any aficionados who might be reading this : do yourself a huge favour, and move all "top 2/5/10 blah blah" videos straight to your trashbox.
YvesB
YvesB

Lieu : Niort
Langues : Fr (Langue mater) It, Esp, Port, Gb, Russe, Catalan

Page 2 sur 4 Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4  Suivant