Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Feb 21 - International Mother Language Day

2 participants

Feb 21 - International Mother Language Day Empty Feb 21 - International Mother Language Day

Message  gerardM Mar 11 Fév - 22:05

Feb 21 - International Mother Language Day Temp1367
(click pic to enlarge)

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Feb 21 - International Mother Language Day Empty Re: Feb 21 - International Mother Language Day

Message  MurielB Mer 4 Juin - 10:14

Hi Gérard, everyone !
Long ago when the channel tunnel was being built and the polyglot café didn't exist, we organized in Calais English speaking or Spanish speaking groups because a lot of people from foreign countries had settled in Calais.
I remember a black south American lady who had forgotten her mother tongue and was happy to gradually remember the words thanks to these groups. It was amazing ! This lady used to follow her husband who worked in different places round the world.
To day I have come across this link about that problem and I wanted to share it with you.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-27690891

Some people have gone decades without speaking or hearing their first language but they retain the ability to speak it easily, says Dr Monika Schmid, a linguistics professor at the University of Essex in the UK. But others begin losing fluency within a few years of not speaking it.

Any of you have experienced that ?

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Feb 21 - International Mother Language Day Empty Re: Feb 21 - International Mother Language Day

Message  gerardM Jeu 5 Juin - 21:46

Hi Muriel,

> others begin losing fluency within a few years of not speaking it.
I know of foreign people living in France and attending our language meetings who are in this case and they count on us (who learn their language) to sometimes help and suggest words they cannot remember.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  MurielB Lun 9 Juin - 17:07

Hi Gérard !
I am happy to observe, thanks to you, that polyglot cafés are useful for native and non- native speakers !  Very Happy

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois