Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Huxley's Brave New World

2 participants

Huxley's Brave New World Empty Huxley's Brave New World

Message  MurielB Jeu 28 Nov - 22:20

Good evening Marine
That book was written by Aldous Huxley. and it is about the world evolution. I will write later about it.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Ven 17 Jan - 9:22, édité 3 fois

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Huxley's Brave New World Empty World of Books (brave new world)

Message  Invité Jeu 28 Nov - 22:44

Thank you ! I will take a look tomorrow. Smile

Invité
Invité

Message  MurielB Ven 29 Nov - 9:44

Hi Marine
In this book, the evolution of humanity is catastrophic. Love, family and friendship have disappeared. Those who have kept  these values are parked in reserves. Human beings  reproduce in laboratories and are conditioned to belong to  different castes.
This book makes us think about what is important for us. Do we have to trust science ? what is absolutely necessary to keep if we want to remain human ?
To know more about the book
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Meilleur_des_mondes

Dernière édition par MurielB le Sam 30 Nov - 7:51, édité 1 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  Philippe-Henri Ven 29 Nov - 17:45

Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World (1932) was a science-fiction novel. George Orwell’s «Nineteen Eighty-Four » novel (1964) rides the same race. Although very different in style, both novels are based upon premonitory dystopia (negative utopia). Keywords are: dehumanization, totalitarianism, tyranny, environmental disasters and decay of moral values.

Where and how do we stand today?

Between mid-19th century and now, European society has been toppled into three major revolutions: the industrial, the technical and the electronic revolution, punctuated by three ferocious military conflicts: the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871), the WW-I (1914-1918) and the WW-2 (1940-1945). History doesn’t stop at our doorstep. Currently, there’s a fourth conflict in the pipeline.

I don’t share Muriel’s view that evolution of humanity is «catastrophic». Historically, human society has always evolved in fits and starts. We, the Human, bombastically called Homo sapiens, have never been wise enough to smoothly carry over our social and moral benefits to the next generations.

Love, family, friendship… have been debased to good old time values. It’s important today to go fast and faster, to be young and younger, to be dynamic and efficient, to make profit.  «Do we have to trust science ?» Muriel asks. No, we don’t. Science is «of no earthly use» (un emplâtre sur une jambe de bois). Most advanced scientific and technological achievements are intended for commercial applications. Money rules the world. Money leads to power and power produces money.

This, I daresay, after Brave New World and Nineteen Eighty-Four, should clear the ground to the third premonitory dystopia.

Who takes the floor?

Philippe-Henri

Philippe-Henri

Lieu : Lille
Langues : Néerlandais (Langue maternelle), Fr, Gb

Message  Invité Ven 29 Nov - 19:05

Thank you for this very interesting post, Philippe-Henri.

Did you read Huxley's book ? I took a look today and I'll probably read it.

If I understand what you wrote, you mentioned 1984 by Orwell. Did you enjoy reading the book ? I've read it myself few years ago, and even if it's not what I read ( usually ), I found the story fascinating !

Invité
Invité

Message  MurielB Ven 29 Nov - 23:19

Philippe-Henri a écrit:

I don’t share Muriel’s view that evolution of humanity is «catastrophic».

Philippe-Henri
Hi Henri !
Of course it's not my view it's Huxley's view. As you know I was born optimist. It is true that money rules the world but I am sure that evolution will go into the right direction. Just pay attention "Science and research without a conscience would be humanity's ruin.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Sam 30 Nov - 7:52, édité 1 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Huxley's Brave New World Empty Huxley's Brave New World

Message  Philippe-Henri Ven 29 Nov - 23:41

MarineL a écrit:Thank you for this very interesting post, Philippe-Henri.

Did you read Huxley's book ? I took a look today and I'll probably read it.

If I understand what you wrote, you mentioned 1984 by Orwell. Did you enjoy reading the book ? I've read it myself few years ago, and even if it's not what I read ( usually ), I found the story fascinating !
Actually, I didnt read Huxley’s Brave New World in full. I just know a bit about its contents in outline. I read, however, Orwell’s 1984 out of curiosity, but didn’t like it. It’s a science fiction novel with much political humbug against totalitarianism. Yet, he was a skilful journalist with great experience on international level. His clearsighted vision of the world may have turned out to be premonitory, because Big Brother really exists today, due to the amazing breakthrough performed by technology, computer science and Internet (which had not been anticipated by Orwell).

Philippe-Henri

Philippe-Henri

Lieu : Lille
Langues : Néerlandais (Langue maternelle), Fr, Gb