Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Do Small Businesses Need to be Multilingual?

3 participants

Do Small Businesses Need to be Multilingual? Empty Do Small Businesses Need to be Multilingual?

Message  gerardM Dim 12 Jan - 20:30

Hi everyone,  \ 

I let you read this very interesting article.

Do Small Businesses Need to be Multilingual? Temp733
(click pic to access article)

The U.S. continues to lead talks on expanding free trade with Europe and parts of the Pacific with the aim of increasing exports to those regions. But before American small businesses can capitalize and begin offering their products and services overseas, they could hit a well-known hurdle: language barriers.
The benefits of knowing more than one language are well-attested. Anton­ella Sorace, an Italian-born University of Edinburgh professor of developmental linguistics, recently noted in the Financial Times that speaking another language is good for business and the brain. “Hire more multilingual employees, because these employees can communicate better, have better intercultural sensitivity, are better at cooperating, negotiating, compromising. But they can also think more efficiently,” he said.
In addition to being able to communicate, bilingual people have what Berdan called one of “the most important professional skills for global workers today — cross-cultural aptitude, [which is] the ability to appreciate different cultures and solve problems while operating in an environment different from what you’re used to.”
Height of weirdness:
This article comes from the US.
Isn't it wise from them to see they are able to realize this point
tho their language is said to be necessary
and they could "save" big money ignoring this.
 :-) 

In my opinion, France made a big mistake for décades
and still is making
thinking French had to be studied by everyone in teh world
Sad

Comments?

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Do Small Businesses Need to be Multilingual? Empty Re: Do Small Businesses Need to be Multilingual?

Message  MurielB Dim 12 Jan - 22:36

Hi Gérard
you know that for us plurilingualism could change the world.  cheers

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Do Small Businesses Need to be Multilingual? Empty Re: Do Small Businesses Need to be Multilingual?

Message  JeanPierreD Lun 13 Jan - 15:07

If there is one think i would like to keep in this interesting article it is : "speaking another language is good for business and the brain. “Hire more multilingual employees, because these employees can communicate better, have better intercultural sensitivity, are better at cooperating, negotiating, compromising. But they can also think more efficiently.."
In a podcast about the "Speaking agency" found by Gérard they even say that bilinguism could, not stop but delay Alzheimer's disease which is a good news for everyone !
JeanPierreD
JeanPierreD

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Message  gerardM Lun 13 Jan - 15:37

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Thanks for your very good comment.
Learning a language is good to train the brain and stay in good health.

As already written, I am positively surprised by this text from America.
I know Americans are not silly -especially when it concerns business.
French was the necessary language of everyone till the 19th century. Given our "culture" Wink French politicians thought our language would be necessary for ever Wink We still have difficulties with this nowadays.
Americans able to properly analyze this point nowadays and concluding that learning foreign languages is mandatory for their country's sake is admiring.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/