Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Pls, Can Anyone Explain to Me What's That Funny?

2 participants

Pls, Can Anyone Explain to Me What's That Funny? Empty Pls, Can Anyone Explain to Me What's That Funny?

Message  gerardM Dim 3 Mar - 11:06

Hi everyone,

As I already wrote it, I do like Facebook. One reason is because I can kinda participate in casual conversations; I mean that I can find there the true language used by Americans speaking to other Americans without transforming their words to be understood by foreigners.

But here, something remains mysterious.
I was written by Cathy, a friend of mine, born in Quebec and living in Missouri for about 10 years.
She's now fully Am and, moreover, she tends to use slang words, or even swearwords (that's why I like to read her postings).
Cathy - Can't stop laughing at this. This kinda exemplifies why there's more jokes about newfies than anything else up north of the border.... you know, like how many newfies does it take to change a lightbulb kinda thing. haha. Although I think Saskatchewan is a close second. For my american friends who don't know, Saskatchewan's capital city is called Regina, with an R.... and there's a town called Climax where road signs as you exit the town tell you to "come again!" I'm serious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpycgIlhJXs&sns=em
Well, I'll have to listen 10 times, read 7 times, and investigate here and there.

I know what a "newfy" is, 1st thing.
I understand "up north of the border".
"how many newfies does it take to change a lightbulb kinda thing", I got it!
"Climax", yes I see very well! Wink

Regarding "Regina, with an R", I'm lost: what the hell is "Egina" (Regina without the R)?? What's funny there?? scratch
Pls Help!

> there's more jokes
Hm I don't like this Cathy! Is it correct or acceptable Am to not write "there're"?

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Pls, Can Anyone Explain to Me What's That Funny? Empty Re: Pls, Can Anyone Explain to Me What's That Funny?

Message  gerardM Lun 4 Mar - 15:41

Still nothing about "Egina, USA".
WTH does it mean? What's funny in this? scratch

gerardM

Pls, Can Anyone Explain to Me What's That Funny? Empty Re: Pls, Can Anyone Explain to Me What's That Funny?

Message  gerardM Mer 6 Mar - 10:10

Hi,

I didn't discover anything regarding Egina.
But I realize Dildo, the name of the village in the song, is also a sex toy (old traditional one) as well as a swearword.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 6 Mar - 17:00

Hi everyone
Is Newfie a colloquial term used in Canada for someone who is from Newfound land ? Does anybody know ?I have not found anything about Egina USA

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Mer 6 Mar - 17:45

Hi Muriel,

Yes a "Newfie" is the casual and usual term for a "Newfoundlander". Everyone knows this word.
"Newfie" also means dumb as people consider the inhabitants of this Island as stupid (possible consanguinity).

gerardM

Message  Invité Mer 6 Mar - 22:46

Hi guys,

LOL ... I would say that Cathie is advising you not to confuse regina with vagina !
So when you put Climax and Regina together, it sort of reminds you of climax and vagina !
That's the type of word joke I would have found hysterically funny when I was in high school ... many moons ago !

K.

Invité
Invité

Message  MurielB Jeu 7 Mar - 21:15

Hi Krystyna
Thank you very much for answering. you are always welcome when there are tricky questions and answers.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Jeu 7 Mar - 21:22, édité 1 fois

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Jeu 7 Mar - 21:19

Hi Krystyna,

Bugger!

Will you believe me, today, during my 30-km trek, I found the response! Smile
I wondered if "(r)egina" and "vagina" pronunciations were very close. Why does Cathie say "with an R"? Is the "e" of the 1st syllable close to the "a" so that the "R" is that important?

gerardM

Message  gerardM Jeu 7 Mar - 21:25

krystynaD a écrit:... many moons ago !
You should be very young... at my age, I count the decades (to have enough fingers).

gerardM