Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

English Language Subtleties

3 participants

English Language Subtleties Empty English Language Subtleties

Message  gerardM Dim 18 Mar - 22:25

Bonsoir à tous,

3 alternatives :

- Mother's Day
- Mothers' Day
- Mothers Day

Les 3 sont correctes mais je laisse s'exprimer Wikipedia-Mother's Day ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother's_Day ) :
Spelling
In 1912, Anna Jarvis trademarked the phrases "second Sunday in May" and "Mother's Day", and created the Mother's Day International Association.[5][6]

She was specific about the location of the apostrophe; it was to be a singular possessive, for each family to honour their mother, not a plural possessive commemorating all mothers in the world.[5]

This is also the spelling used by U.S. President Woodrow Wilson in the law making official the holiday in the U.S., by the U.S. Congress on bills,[7][8] and by other U.S. presidents on their declarations.[9]

Common usage in English language also dictates that the ostensibly singular possessive "Mother's Day" is the preferred spelling, although "Mothers' Day" (plural possessive) or "Mothers Day" (plural non-possessive) are sometimes used.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

English Language Subtleties Empty Re: English Language Subtleties

Message  MurielB Lun 19 Mar - 17:16

Bonjour Gérard, tous

J'ai oublié la règle mais normalement dans les noms composés le premier nom est considéré comme un adjectif, donc invariable. Pourquoi donc Mothers day avec un s. Les deux premiers sont des cas possessifs donc il n'y a pas de problème. Merci de m'éclairer.

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

Message  gerardM Lun 19 Mar - 17:32

Bonjour Muriel, bonjour à tous,

MurielB a écrit:... considéré comme un adjectif, donc invariable.
Je suppose que tu veux dire "singulier".

Pourquoi donc Mothers day avec un s. Les deux premiers sont des cas possessifs donc il n'y a pas de problème. Merci de m'éclairer.
Je suis désolé mais j'en suis bien incapable. Sad
Lorsqu'il s'agit d'une personne, je pensais qu'il fallait utiliser un cas possessif (OK pour la différence entre singulier mother's et pluriel mothers') et n'ai pas la moindre idée concerant ce "mot composé", avec un pluriel qui plus est !

~~ edit
Je suis en train de parcourir :
-> Confusing Possessives, Example: Mother’s Day vs. Mothers’ Day vs. Mothers Day
-> Problems with apostrophes
-> Mothers Day, Mother's Day, or Mothers' Day?
-> Mother’s, Mothers’, or Mothers Day?

~~~~ edit
Pour le moment, je ne suis pas plus avancé ! Smile
With titles, you may think of the word in front of the noun as either singular, plural, or possessive. For example, do you think of the holiday as belonging to each mother individually (Mother’s Day) or to all mothers collectively (Mothers’ Day)? Or do you think of the word Mothers as an adjective describing Day? There is no right or wrong answer to this question.

gerardM

English Language Subtleties Empty Mothering Sunday

Message  AgnesG Lun 19 Mar - 18:09

I don't want to make the matters worse, but a friend of mine offered to me an English calendar where it's written for the 18 March, "Mothering Sunday, UK, Eire", as to the 13 May it's written, "Mother's Day, USA, Can, Aus, NZ, S.Africa, Japan". And according to the French one it's on the 3rd of June.
So now i feel a bit confused ! confused

Merci de me faire part des grosses fautes dans mes messages en langue étrangère. Grâce à vos remarques, je pourrai m'améliorer. :-)
Please feel free to point out big mistakes in my messages in a foreign language. Thanks to your remarks, I'll be able to improve
AgnesG
AgnesG

Lieu : Boulogne
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb

Message  gerardM Lun 19 Mar - 19:15

Hi Agnès,

(I do know your sig -except the end-) Wink

Don't be confused: all of the dates were displayed in the document I pointed out -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother's_Day.
Dates throughout the word range from Feb in Norway to December in Indonesia.

In most countries, Mother's Day is a recent observance derived from the holiday as it has evolved in America. When it was adopted by other countries and cultures, it was given different meanings, associated to different events (religious, historical or legendary), and celebrated on a different date or dates.

Some countries already had existing celebrations honoring motherhood, and their celebrations have adopted several external characteristics from the US holiday, like giving carnations and other presents to your own mother.

The extent of the celebrations varies greatly. In some countries, it is potentially offensive to one's mother not to mark Mother's Day. In others, it is a little-known festival celebrated mainly by immigrants, or covered by the media as a taste of foreign culture.

The page at Wikipedia related to Mothering Sunday: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothering_Sunday

gerardM