Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

ALZHEIMER : More incentives for being BILINGUAL

3 participants

ALZHEIMER : More incentives for being BILINGUAL Empty ALZHEIMER : More incentives for being BILINGUAL

Message  Guilaine Mer 1 Juin - 15:12

According to a recent study by Ellen Bialystok, reported in
www10.nytimes.com

Among other benefits, the regular use of two languages appears to delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease symptoms.
To sum up the article :
Bilinguals can cope with the disease longer.
You have to use both languages all the time ; you won't get the bilingual benefit from occasional use.
Bilinguism may help with multitasking.
With the new neuroimaging technology, it is noted that on certain kinds of even nonverbal tests, bilinguals are faster : their whole brain appears to rewire because of bilingualism.

This is to be added to previous reports by Gérard and Krystyna and others, about the same subject.

Guilaine
Guilaine

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

ALZHEIMER : More incentives for being BILINGUAL Empty Alzheimer : Moreincentive for being bilingual

Message  pierreP Jeu 2 Juin - 18:53

I am happy from the news because, at my age, I am afraid for Alzheimer; but I am afraid that, to be efficient we have to believe it! Smile
PierreP
pierreP
pierreP

Lieu : Lille (59)
Langues : Français (langue maternelle), GB, de, es

ALZHEIMER : More incentives for being BILINGUAL Empty Re: ALZHEIMER : More incentives for being BILINGUAL

Message  Invité Sam 4 Juin - 0:29

Hi everyone,

The following Alzheimer's test was developed as a mental age assessment by the School of Psychiatry at Harvard University.
Take your time and see if you can read each line aloud without a single mistake.
The average person over 50 years of age cannot do it !

1. This is this cat.

2. This is is cat.

3. This is how cat.

4. This is to cat.

5. This is keep cat.

6. This is an cat.

7. This is old cat.

8. This is fart cat.

9. This is busy cat.

10. This is for cat.

11. This is forty cat.

12. This is seconds cat.

Now go back and read the third word in each line from the top down.

Too funny !!!

Invité
Invité

ALZHEIMER : More incentives for being BILINGUAL Empty Re: ALZHEIMER : More incentives for being BILINGUAL

Message  Guilaine Lun 6 Juin - 15:47

Reading the 12 lines aloud made me wonder if I was not affected by the Alzheimer's disease, as I understood nothing of it.
I started to understand when reading the 2nd exercise, although I don't know what a "fart" is. My dictionary does not help.
confused I have an idea, which is not so kind to the reader. am I right ?
Guilaine
Guilaine

Message  Invité Lun 6 Juin - 19:20

Hi Ghislaine,

*I think that the exercise was a "joke" !*

The 12 lines were just meant to see if the person could understand and read what was written, not particularly making any sense.
But reading the third word of each sentence makes a sensible sentence, even though it is "questionably" funny !

Anyway, literally a "fart" is "un pet"

But, in English when we call someone "a silly old fart", the equivalent in French might be "espèce de vieux schnoque" ?

Invité
Invité

Message  Guilaine Lun 6 Juin - 22:37

Thank you, Krystyna, at least you comfort me ; the exercise was silly, not me !!
Guilaine
Guilaine

Message  MurielB Dim 7 Sep - 21:15

Hi Guilaine, Krystyna, Pierre !
I have just come across another article: Learning a second language at any age may slow the brain' decline. People often say that they are too old to start a new language. This text says the other way round : picking up a new language even a little later in life is good for the aging brain
http://article.wn.com/view/2014/06/02/Learning_a_second_language_at_any_age_may_slow_the_brains_de/

you're never to old to learn to speak another language. Speaking 2 languages benefits the aging brain, says new research that reveals that bilingualism has a positive effect on cognition later in life. Findings, "Does Bilingualism Influence Cognitive Aging?" published online June 2, 2014 in the Annals of Neurology, (Wiley) a journal of the American Neurological Association and Child Neurology Society, show that individuals who speak two or more languages, even those who acquired the second language in adulthood, may slow down cognitive decline. Bilingualism is thought to improve cognition and delay dementia

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois