Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

a film called "The road"

3 participants

a film called "The road" Empty a film called "The road"

Message  MurielB Ven 15 Jan - 18:38

A father and his son are walking toward the sea across a post-apocalyptic landscape, some years after a great, unexplained cataclysm has destroyed civilization and almost all life on Earth. The setting is extremely bleak; the sun is obscured by a layer of ash so thick that they must breathe through masks. The surviving remnants of civilization have been largely reduced to cannibalistic tribes. Realizing that they will not survive another winter in their present location, the father leads them through this desolate landscape towards the sea, sustained by a vague hope of finding other "good people" like them.

. In the face of these obstacles, the man and the boy have only each other (they are "each the other's world entire"). . They repeatedly assure one another that they are "the good guys," who are "carrying the fire."
I found the film rather depressing in spite of its happing ending. At the end when the father dies, the son is adopted by a nice family.
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

a film called "The road" Empty The Road

Message  Guilaine Ven 15 Jan - 21:36

Sorry, I haven't seen the film, and can't discuss it.
However, I have been impressed with another film which I am going to comment in this forum. Please see : "Invictus".
Guilaine
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

a film called "The road" Empty "The Road"

Message  JillS Sam 16 Jan - 21:11

I had been meaning to read The Road for several years after its highly acclaimed reception when published. My big mistake was reading it over the Christmas period, snowbound and cold, ice-bound by uncleared roads, the "festive" season consisting of leaden skies and isolation. I found the book totally depressing, repetitive (just how many times does he light the fire, shelter under the tarp...). By the time I got towards the end, suicidal thoughts were filtering through under the leaden Pas de Calais skies BUT the book managed to redeem itself in the last two pages, there is light at the end of the tunnel but they did seem to be stuck in it for an awful long time!
JillS
JillS
JillS

Langues : Anglais (Langue maternelle) , Fr, Es, De