Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine

+2
MurielB
Nick
6 participants

Page 1 sur 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Suivant

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine Empty Anglo-Saxon Cuisine

Message  Nick Ven 13 Aoû - 9:24

To discover other pages please click on the top right. the page numbers appear there.

Who says British food is bland and boring ???

If you've ever tasted a well cooked slice of roast beef accompanied by a perfectly roasted potato and parsnip, a Yorkshire pudding, and lightly steamed fresh vegetables, well, then you know the fallacy of that statement.

The Sunday roast lunch is a time honoured tradition in Britain. Roast chicken with bacon rolls, sausages, and bread sauce. Roast lamb with mint sauce. Roast pork with crackling and applesauce. By far though, the most popular Sunday roast has got to be roast beef with Yorkshire pudding....
Nick
Nick

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Anglais (Langue maternelle) Fr, Es, Russe

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine Empty French children don't throw food

Message  MurielB Dim 15 Jan - 21:19

I have just come across a very interesting article (Courrier international) about a book written by an american lady Pamela Druckerman : French children don't throw food.
How do the French manage to raise well-behaved children and have a life!
What British parent hasn't noticed, on visiting France, how well-behaved French children are - compared to our own?
- How come French babies sleep through the night?
- Why do French children happily eat what is put in front of them?
- How can French mums chat to their friends while their children play quietly?
- Why are French mums more likely to be seen in skinny jeans than tracksuit bottoms?
Pamela Druckerman, who lives in Paris with three young children, has had years of observing her French friends and neighbours, and with wit and style, is ideally placed to teach us the basics of parenting a la francaise.
English mums have a different approach to education. Instead of saying "It's enough now" they ask "why do you do that ?
English expats in France are surprised to see how strict schools are. There is no room for creativity. In that sense english education develop more personal skills Wink

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine Empty Re: Anglo-Saxon Cuisine

Message  Invité Mer 18 Jan - 21:44

Hi Muriel,

Hmmmm ... I must have the only two French kids that are not compliant !

How come French babies sleep through the night ?
Why do French children happily eat what is put in front of them ?

The baby plays all night and sleeps till noon !
The 5 year old girl refuses to eat vegetables, nor ham, nor fish, nor meat ... and all she wants is pain au chocolate or sucettes !

They are both "driving me to a life of alcoholism" !!!

Invité
Invité

Message  MurielB Jeu 19 Jan - 14:03

Hi Kystyna !
Nice to hear from you and your lovely children on this forum. The problem is that in France there's always the exception which proves the rule Wink

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  MurielB Lun 28 Mai - 10:03

I have got good news for you Nick. British food and drink are now the new and modern british art. By the way, how are you Nick ?

http://www.channel4.com/news/food-is-the-new-modern-art-britains-hot-young-talent

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine Empty Yes and..no.

Message  katyE Lun 18 Juin - 17:28

I agree and i dont.

Roast dinner is delicous. I have it almost every Sunday. It is about mixing and matching so you don´t get bored. I like mince or chicken and mushroom pie as well, toad in the hole and other stuff.

I do appreciate the big effort they make to cook this dishes, but come onnnnnnnnnnnnn , it is not as fun and delicious as eating mexican or indian food! =P

Regards
katyE
katyE

Lieu : Boulogne sur mer
Langues : Mexicaine Esp (Langue maternelle) gb De Fr

Message  Guilaine Sam 23 Juin - 18:00

Have you tried Steak and Kidney pie ? And Strawberry trifle ? Delicious !...
Guilaine
Guilaine

Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, Es,It

Message  katyE Ven 6 Juil - 13:53

I have tried that, it is really nice. I guess once you understand the flavor it is easier to appreciate it. I don´t think the problem with british food is the flavour, but maybe the fat in it? It is something you cannot enjoy every day if you are not used to it. It is not bad for a Sunday Wink
katyE
katyE

Lieu : Boulogne sur mer
Langues : Mexicaine Esp (Langue maternelle) gb De Fr

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine Empty GMOs in the US

Message  gerardM Mar 5 Fév - 11:30

Hi everyone,

We don't hear much about GMOs in the United States.

In France, we tend to think everything comes from Monsanto and the like which poison the world freely.

-> Missouri next battleground state for GMO labeling
4:00 am Mon January 28, 2013
By Abbie Fentress Swanson
When legislation mandating genetically-modified food labels was proposed in California, Oregon and Washington, I wasn't necessarily surprised. But the recent news that GMO labeling is being considered in Missouri was a little bit of a shock...
Pls notice the single l in "labeling" (there would be "ll" in British En).
A friend of mine who may be a farmer in North Texas keeps posting on the subject, along with Monsanto killing bees.
Anglo-Saxon Cuisine GMO
Credit Timothy Valentine/flickr
A 'No GMOs' label.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  MurielB Mer 6 Fév - 8:54

gerardM a écrit:
We don't hear much about GMOs in the United States.
I am very surprised ! Shocked

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine Empty Medical Documentary on Genetically Modified Food - Genetic Roulette - The Gamble of Our Lives

Message  gerardM Dim 3 Mar - 11:49

When in Europe? Shall we escape?

Hi everyone,

Here's a 57-min documentary on GMOs discussing the situation in the US and the dangers for everyone there.

Genetic Roulette - The Gamble of Ours Lives

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 3 Mar - 11:59

Hi everyone,

I guess it's a similar objet, after a post of a Green American friend (I think she's a farmer in Texas):

-> 3 Facts Everybody Should Know About Monsanto , ce-Collective Evolution magazine
I assume you guessed the position is con-Monsanto Very Happy
Monsanto is an american multinational corporation founded in the early 1900′s by John Francis Queeny. It’s no coincidence that he was a veteran of the pharmaceutical industry. Monsanto and the people that govern it hide behind the classification of multinational corporations and political labels in order to implement their desired agenda. Why on Earth is our food being manufactured by the largest pesticide company in the world?
1. Monsanto Invented The Harmful LED (light emitting diode)
2. Monsanto has multiple connections to the government
3. Monsanto invented the toxic chemicals that that they spray on our food, which they own.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Dim 3 Mar - 22:12

gerardM a écrit:

Why on Earth is our food being manufactured by the largest pesticide company in the world?
frightening What a Face

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Dim 3 Mar - 22:20

Muriel,
MurielB a écrit:... frightening What a Face
It is!!

Worse! I wonder if I'm confusing with the German companies Bayer, BASF, etc. (IG Farben during WWII) but I guess that before pesticides, Monsanto was manufacturing poison gas: asphyxiating gas, mustard gas and the like.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Dim 3 Mar - 22:41

Gosh! Watch where I put the mouse:
An article about aspartame... didn't know it was poisonous!!
Pharmaceutical Terrorism - The Backbone of Modern Medicine
The chief patent holder of the sweetener is the Monsanto Co., based in St. Louis. In 1967, Monsanto entered into a joint venture with I.G. Farbenfabriken, the aforementioned financial core of the Hitler regime and the key supplier of poison gas to the Nazi racial extermination program. In view of Monsanto's Nazi, chemical warfare ties, and the fact that aspartame is a potent stand alone poison, NutraSweet is a can of worms unprecedented in the American food industry and casts an extraordinarily long shadow across the integrity of the FDA and the American Medical Association that should have screamed bloody murder over the issue. The history of the product is laden with flawed and fabricated research findings, basically a barrage of blatant lies provided by a battery of independent medical researchers, all of which were used as the basis of FDA approval.

Aspartame is a deliberate poisoning of the masses.
( http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/articles/art_pharmaterror.html )

-> Peddling Monsanto Poison To Our Most Innocent Our Children: Michelle Obama’s 2nd-Term Agenda ~ Impact Nature of Food With Monsanto!

higly poisenous herbicide and defoliant Agent Orange for the war in Vietnam which was excessivly used. About 80 000 m³ of Agent Orange was sprayed across South Vietnam
(Birth Defects Information)

Dark History of the Evil Monsanto Corporation

gerardM

Message  gerardM Mar 5 Mar - 20:38

Hi everyone,

Susan keeps posting against GMOs:

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 5 Mar - 22:23

She is right because we are what we eat aren't we?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Mer 6 Mar - 8:10

Hi Muriel,

Yes, she's right.
However, I wonder how many Americans are aware of this. As Michele Obama gets involved in food, things may evolve.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mer 6 Mar - 17:09

I am very pleased about that Very Happy

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Jeu 7 Mar - 22:06

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

As far as I understand, there's progress in the US re GMOs:
Hawaii and Vermont make historic GMO labeling progress (dated March 7)
On Friday, the Vermont House Agriculture Committee, after weeks of testimony, passed H.112, or the “GMO labeling bill,” by an 8-3 vote.
Hawaii and Vermont are one step closer to becoming the first states in the US to introduce GMO labeling following historic House votes over the past 5 days.

Hawaii House passes GMO labeling bill on to Senate
Susan added:
What's the bet Monsanto will threaten lawsuits and throw more $ at legislators.
I picked up an expression I didn't know... I would have never dared translate "Combien on parie..." by "What's the bet..." (first time I see this expression) :-) I'll remember.

gerardM

Message  gerardM Ven 8 Mar - 19:43

Hi everyone,

Yesterday night on the French channel FR2, I saw a documentary stating Americans were more and more interested in food, so that even girls wanted to work as butchers (don't remember if they wanted to kill bulls with their fists)!!
Butchers advise Americans not to eat that much meat and they were explaining they took great care not to stress animals otherwise meat was not good.
The comperes also said Americans were promoting short circuits.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Ven 8 Mar - 20:40

You are right, Gerard, it's no good to eat toi much meat
Eating too much meat is a common dietary problem in American society. Most Americans don't realize that they're eating too much meat. The risks of eating excessive amounts of meat include heart disease, kidney disease, osteoporosis and cancer.

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Message  gerardM Ven 8 Mar - 21:28

Hi Muriel,

Thanks for confirmation.

I heard Chinese were eating more and more meat (and other food) and obesity is increasing there as well, due to new living standards and to single-child politics (kids are spoiled: nothing is well enough)... not sure China takes a good way.
Difficult for a nation to learn from other's mistakes. After long want period, they make the same mistakes as many other countries.

gerardM

Message  MurielB Mar 12 Mar - 21:46

Hi Gerard, everyone
I have heard that when man started to eat cooked meat his brain started to grow. Who could explain to me why ?

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Anglo-Saxon Cuisine Empty Green innovations for sustainable solutions

Message  MurielB Jeu 28 Mar - 22:33

hello everyone
Green economy is a must and I would like to open this subject to know what you think about it. Though a great deal has already been done our future depends on it and it is so important !  I don't know the English for "La nuit porte conseil" (I have just found it  Idea = Let's sleep on it)   I just want to have time and write about it tomorrow.

Dernière édition par MurielB le Dim 19 Jan - 23:04, édité 3 fois

MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Page 1 sur 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Suivant