Café polyglotte sur le net (Language forum)
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

17 cultural reasons why this European never wants to live in America

2 participants

17 cultural reasons why this European never wants to live in America Empty 17 cultural reasons why this European never wants to live in America

Message  gerardM Mer 16 Oct - 22:15

Hi everyone,

Here seems to be a very interesting article as it goes against what I usually mean in my posts.

This article was written by Benny Lewis, an Irish guy who keeps traveling throughout the world.

-> 17 cultural reasons why this European never wants to live in America
1. Americans are way too sensitive
2. Everything is “awesome”!
3. Smiles mean NOTHING
4. Tipping
5. False prices on everything
6. Cheesy in-your-face marketing
7. Wasteful consumerism
8. Idiotic American stereotypes of other countries
9. Heritage
10. ID checks & stupid drinking laws
11. Religious Americans
12. Corporations win all the time, not small businesses
13. A country designed for cars, not humans
14. Always in a hurry
15. Obsession with money
16. Unhealthy portions
17. Thinking America is the best
What I love about Americans
Please read the article. You can also read a part of the 2,439 comments.

I didn't read the text yet but will do right now: I'm personally very surprised by the 17 titles I just copied and pasted... the guy seems to consider secondary points.
Okay I'm looking forward to reading.

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

17 cultural reasons why this European never wants to live in America Empty Re: 17 cultural reasons why this European never wants to live in America

Message  MurielB Jeu 17 Oct - 9:15

Hi Gérard, everyone.
I am not very comfortable with stereotypes. How many inhabitants are there in USA ? I had a look in Wikipedia and found 315 millions in 2012. Is it possible to find similarities among all those people ? Difficult but may be possible I don't know. Perhaps we could say for instance. When I travelled to the states in 2011 I had the feeling that people were like this like that or behaved like this like that.
Personnally I don't feel French just member(Like everyone else) of our good old earth Wink

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois

17 cultural reasons why this European never wants to live in America Empty Re: 17 cultural reasons why this European never wants to live in America

Message  gerardM Jeu 17 Oct - 21:29

Hi Muriel, hi everyone,

As already said in a few words yesterday, I'm disappointed by the article.

How can this Irish guy who spent more than 10 years traveling (before someone points it out, there's only one "l" in American) be so narrow-minded and stop at insignificant items?
- I thought he was joking.
- he repeats stereotypes
- according to the author's words, Ireland looks the only good country
I won't counter each con-items but refer to a pro-item: regarding American girls - "since they have a thing for Irish accents…"... isn't it a ridiculous criterium?scratch 

I shared the link on Facebook and Susan, an American friend of mine, was stunned and found the guy ridiculous as well refering to hackneyed stereotypes from both sides (like American repeating the Irish are drunkards).

gerardM

Lieu : Ermont & Eaubonne café-langues (Val d'Oise)
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), US-En, De, It, Ru

http://volangues.blogspot.com/

Message  MurielB Jeu 17 Oct - 22:31

gerardM a écrit:

(like American repeating the Irish are drunkards).
I agree Gérard, I don't understand  why people like repeating over and over again the same uninteresting stereotypes. Every language, every culture makes our world richer. When you look down on people you manage without an interesting and unique look on things which is a shame !

You Don't speak French              =>Gb,De, Esp, It 
MurielB
MurielB
Admin

Lieu : Calais
Langues : Français (Langue maternelle), Gb, De, It, Es, chinois